Monday, March 23, 2009

A Canning Nightmare!!


I LOVE canning. It is one thing I will do anytime, anywhere. I look for things to can. I also LOVE Bountiful Baskets. They get amazing prices on bulk fruit and other items that can easily be canned. When they offered green chili's a couple of weeks ago, I immediately called Jill. I knew Jill had canned green chili's sitting on her shelf and so she would know how to can them. She called her friend who said they are SO EASY! We decided to each get a box and then Shireen said she wanted a box too.

The plan was for Jill and I to do ours and then can Shireen's too because she was out of town. Hey, if it was easy, why not! Jill and I finally started the process on Saturday and 5 hours later I had 8 half pints of green chili's. I was THRILLED to get 8 half pints!! Jill was able to get 11 pints so technically I should have gotten 22 half pints, but I accidentally (on purpose) burned some of my chili's so I wouldn't have to peel them. The roasting took about 20 minutes and then they have to "sweat" for 15 minutes and then you can peel them. This is the WORST part of the whole process. If the chili's weren't roasted enough, it was difficult to get the skin off and if they were too roasted you couldn't get the skin off. Obviously I didn't have the magic touch when it came to roasting so most of mine burned...... oh darn! ;o)

The process was so horrible that I didn't can Shireen's. I wouldn't have even done them for myself! I am excited to use the chili's I have, but I decided the next time, I will take my $10 and BUY as many cans as I can at the store!!

No comments: