Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A great read......



OK so many of you know that I am NOT, NOT a reader. My friend Jill will call all the time and ask, "I need a good book. Do you have one?" Then I politely remind her that "HELLO, I DO NOT READ!" Mitzi, on the other hand, can read a whole Harry Potter book in one sitting, and mind you she HAS done that! I cannot remember a time when I liked to read. I was the kid in the class that had a difficult time reading and when I did read I didn't comprehend very much. I could get the gist of the story, but not details such as setting or climax of the book. Half of the time I don't even know character names. I made my way through school by taking required literature classes during summer school when there wasn't enough time to read books so we watched the movies instead. BRILLIANT!! Finally as a senior in high school I was tested for learning disabilities. Turns out I am partially dyslexic. I don't mix my letters up but there is something lacking. (Now you know what is wrong with me! LOL) In fact, I can read a book much faster if I hold the book upside down.

Anyway, now that I can read for pleasure, I do enjoy reading books from time to time, but it takes me a while to get through them. I am glad that Jill lives next door so she can pass the good books on to me. Sarah's Key is a GREAT book. It isn't one that is happy and joyful, but since I enjoy historical fiction books, this one was right up my alley.... 1942 Paris and the rounding-up thousands of Parisian Jews to be sent to Auschwitz. What a tragic story and one that will tug on your heart strings. To read more about the book click here. If anyone knows of other historical fiction books I should read, please pass them along.

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

Hey it's my ONLY gift in life! LOL

Thanks for the heads up! I was just looking for a good book to read over the break. Hopefully I'll get some reading time in. :)