Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Lorin's Mission Call Came Today

This morning when I woke-up I checked my email as usual. In my inbox was an update on Lorin Merkley. An MRI was done to determine why he has been having difficulty breathing. The results were what everyone had feared....he had tumors in his lungs. The doctors advised no more chemo and they decided to send him home today with hospice. This morning as I read that news I wanted to gather my 3 little kids and snuggle in bed with them all day. Of course that is what any mother would want to do. I prayed that they would have more time as a family but that Lorin would be free of the pain he is in. I just received a call that Lorin died just about 20 minutes ago.

Lorin was made an Elder on Sunday. Isn't that what always happens? A missionary is set apart on Sunday and leaves for his mission on Tuesday to check into the MTC on Wednesday. Lorin was right on schedule. I am sure today will be spent greeting grandparents and those gone before him, and tomorrow he will start his training as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Lucky him.... he will train with Christ by his side and with Prophets as his teachers. Of course, my heart breaks for LeAnn and Craig, his parents, who are left behind with empty arms. I know they have the faith to endure yet another test. I now pray that their family may be comforted, that Brandon, who is serving an Earthly mission, will be able to decide to either come home or finish his mission. I can't imagine making that kind of decision!

Tonight I will be thinking of Lorin and wondering if he will say hi to all those people I know on the other side.

No comments: