Friday, April 24, 2009

Does this shirt make my neck red?



SO we are officially REDNECKS who watch, attend and follow everything NASCAR. Last weekend we went to our very first race. Yes we were NASCAR virgins so to speak. We had the BEST time and I NEVER in a million, zillion years thought those words would come out of my mouth. I am sure Mark LOVES seeing us eat our words.

We carpooled to the race with Jill, Mark, Mark's Dad, Mark's Brother in Law, and Doug. When we got in the car everyone asked where our NASCAR costumes were. Being the NASCAR virgins that we are we didn't have NASCAR costumes like everyone else. Lucky for us there were about 50 semi-truck trailers full of NASCAR paraphernalia to spend your money on. Sal and I decided we need to cheer for the rookie and we chose Sam Hornish #77 to cheer for. Thus we now are the proud owners of Hornish t-shirts and hats.

Before you get into the racetrack there is all kinds of booths and free stuff. Here is a picture of a grill that Sal would love to have in our backyard. Yes it too is a semi-truck trailer and the grill is the entire length of the trailer.

We finally took our seats in time for the prayer and National Anthem and parade of drivers. Mark's Dad gave me some great advice before the race. He said, "if you have anything you need to tell Sal, make sure you say it BEFORE the race starts." I tried to think of any secrets I needed to tell Sal, but I didn't have any. I honestly couldn't imagine how loud it would be when they say, "Gentlemen, start your engines." The roar was like nothing I had ever heard before, but truly it made my heart race and I was so excited! Thanks to Doug we had scanners to listen to. It would have been an incredibly boring race had we not had those. They are something we will invest in before the next race.

Here is the view from our seats. They were great seats!!
It was awesome to see Mark Martin (the old guy) win the race and we were happy that Hornish had a top ten finish. It was even better that he finished in front of Earnhardt Jr. (the Woolley's favorite driver).
I must say I have never seen so many people in my life, but they were all very nice.... it was nice to not have to listen to people cuss you out because you like a certain driver. I wish NFL games could be like that. Phoenix has one more race in November and we will be there. We are also planning a trip to Bristol so we can experience a short track race.

We won't take offense if you call us rednecks because we are PROUD to be NASCAR fans!

2 comments:

Subentendido said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jill said...

GO NASCAR!!!! I'm so glad you're hooked!!!