Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Living history.....



How do you put today into words? I am absolutely speechless. As I sat watching President Obama's speech I wished that I would have kept my boys home from school so that I could experience history with them. Luckily I have it on the DVR and we will watch it again as a family tonight and talk about the significance of it.

Choosing a presidential candidate was, for me, similar to gaining a testimony. As members of the Church we are taught to ponder what we study. Think it over in our minds and hearts, be open to the spirit, and ask if it is right. As I did this, I knew without a doubt that Barack Obama was the right one to lead this country. His priorities are in the right place - the economy, the wars, health care, families, education. I trust him to do what is right for my family and for this country. Today I was filled with pride, gratitude and hope as President Obama spoke these words:
"For us, they packed up their few worldly possessions and traveled across oceans in search of a new life. For us, they toiled in sweatshops and settled the West; endured the lash of the whip and plowed the hard earth. For us, they fought and died, in places like Concord and Gettysburg; Normandy and Khe Sahn. Time and again these men and women struggled and sacrificed and worked till their hands were raw so that we might live a better life. They saw America as bigger than the sum of our individual ambitions; greater than all the differences of birth or wealth or faction."
"There are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage."

My continued prayers will be with him and the other leaders of this country and the world that we might be able to work together to make a peaceful, prosperous world for our children.

No comments: