Sunday, October 19, 2008

Colin Powell on Meet the Press

I was anxious today to watch Colin Powell on Meet the Press. He is a man that I have admired for many years. Sal and I have often said he is one man we wish would run for President of the US because we would vote for him without discussion. I was impressed when he, in deciding to run for President back in 2000, asked his wife what she thought. When she said she didn't want him to run, he took her word and didn't enter the race. He is a man of insight, wisdom, honesty and integrity.

For those of you who missed him talking about his candidate for President you can watch it here or download it for free at iTunes.

Yes he does endorse my choice for President but don't you love how he explains WHY he is voting for Obama? He discussed many thoughts that I had in deciding who to vote for.

I absolutely got goose bumps when he said that he was troubled that some Republicans — he excluded McCain — continue to say or allow others to say that Obama is a Muslim, when he is a Christian. Such rhetoric is polarizing, he said. "He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America," Powell said. "Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president?" I find it hypocritical that members of the Church didn't want religion to be a negative when Romney was in the race, but many have had no issue with forwarding the emails that talk about Obama being a Muslim, as if it would be a neagative if he was. Isn't that what we would want people to say about being a member of the Church... "what if he is?" Reread the quote by Powell above but substitute the word Mormon for Muslim. Makes sense doesn't it?

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Jill sent me your blog so I could read your thoughts on Powell. You wrote eloquently and with thoughtfulness. Also you echo my feelings and I appreciate your frankness. Garry says "Right On!" Thank You! Sheila

Jody said...

I don't know you very well, Alicia, except through my cousin so I hope its OK if I comment....?

No, I have no problem with any president of the US choosing any religion they want. That is one of our proudest freedoms here. But what I do have a problem with is dishonesty, which is something Obama is guilty of. If he's Christian, so be it. If he's Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, Mormon, again, so be it. BUT if he IS Muslim, while professing to be Christian all this time, then none of that matters. He's lying and that's wrong. And I think that's the real issue of this, not religion.

(azrogers7.blogspot.com)

Agnes said...

I told Tim the EXACT same thing after we listened to Colin Powell's endorsment of Barack Obama!

Great minds think alike!

Great post!