Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Final Score: Cardinals 23 49ers 13

Sal and I spent this past weekend in San Francisco. It was one of those vacations where we decided we would eat and sleep... and of course go to the Cardinal/49er game. We stayed at the Fairmont..... it pays to have colleagues that give us a fantastic rate when we stay there. We certainly couldn't afford it otherwise! Here is the view from our room! You can see Alcatraz Island through the fog.




OK well a little background first...... Growing up in SLC, I was a huge BYU fan (and still am)! I became a 49er fan as soon as Steve Young became the quarterback there and have remained a fan ever since. I REFUSE to be a Cardinal fan.... mostly because the Bidwells are the worst owners in the history of the NFL and also, if I was, there would be no friendly rivalry in our family. You see Sal has brainwashed the boys into being Cardinal fans. One day they will realize how horrible the team is and has always been and I bet they choose a different team to cheer for. At least that is what I am hoping for. Hayden and I made a bet. Of course he chose the Cardinal to win and I chose the 49ers. Needless to say, I am on dish duty for the next week!


The weather was perfect for football. In fact I wore my 49er sweatshirt the whole time. For me it was like traveling to Mecca to see where some of the NFL greats have played. Here is a picture of the 49er Hall of Fame and of Sal and I at the game.



Here is our view from our seats.....



We had a great time and at halftime they had the Navy Leap Frogs parachute into the stadium. The wind was blowing so hard that one of the guys landed in the parking lot by mistake.



Somehow after the game, Sal and ended up outside where the Cardinal players were boarding their buses for the airport. Each player went through security screening right there in front of us. We had fun laughing at the clothes they were wearing. We even had the chance to talk with Deuce Lutui and Sal was thrilled to get a picture with him. I was impressed that he gave us both a hug and shook our hands. He has quite a grip! We forgave him for being a Mesa Jackrabbit and he forgave us for being Mountain View Toros.



I also like this picture of Matt Leinart. He is much cuter in person! I am not sure who the guy with dreads is. I am Sal knows.


Sal and I have decided that each year we will go to a Cardinal game in a different city. Although, I must say, I was quite spoiled growing up in BYU stadium.... no one really cussed.... OK maybe the "d" word or the "h" word, but it was always aimed at the players or coaches. Never was it said toward the fans of the opposing team. This experience was quite like going to the Holiday Bowl and having to sit among Texas A&M fans. The curse words were a plenty and directed a few times at Sal and his Cardinal shirt. We have decided that we will not go to a game in Oakland! I don't think we could live through a game on that side of the Bay!

1 comment:

Alan said...

You guys are so luck to be able to travel, Annette and I would love to travel some day. As far as the Cougars go I feel really bad to live so close and not go, however I try and catch them on tv.