Monday, December 6, 2010

Eagle Project Part 2

As I sit here and type this post, I am VERY aware of all the noises in my house at the moment. The dishwasher is going as is the washer and dryer and I just heard the heat click on. Today I am more aware of the humming of my house because we just had the most wonderful experience in Rocky Point.

This weekend was finally the day that we have waited for. We are delivering all of our donations to the people of Mexico. Granny and Papa and Mitzi and Clark left on Friday with their cars loaded to the brim. We left on Saturday and our Yukon was so full, we almost didn't have room for the kids. We were all worried about getting through the border, but our prayers were answered in that none of us were stopped. We were just waved through and we didn't have to explain or bribe anyone to let our items through.

We met President Moreno and his wife Ismelda at Burger King and after quick introductions we followed him to his house.






He has a beautiful house and we immediately felt warm and welcome there. We were ready to unload the items, but Guillermo (Pres. Moreno) insisted that we sit and eat. Guillermo's mom was also there from Mazatlan and they had made my favorite - posole!! They even had all the fixings - lime, radishes, cabbage, red onion. It was delicious!





We had the best time talking and visiting. We learned so much about the LDS branch and the Moreno's. Here is just some of what we learned:

  1. 60% of the members of the branch are unemployed - 60%!! They are mostly construction workers that have no jobs because the building in Rocky Point is at a stand still, due to the lack of tourists. President Moreno said that they do anything they can for money including standing on the street corner washing car windows for money.

  2. They have no Bishops storehouse or church welfare programs. They do collect a little bit for fast offering but not nearly enough for their needs.

  3. Electricity is VERY expensive in Mexico. Pres. Moreno said he pays between $100 and $200 every month for electricity. The houses have NO heat. If they did their electricity bills would be nearly $700. Their house was cold and we had our coats on the whole time.

  4. The youth in the branch want desperately to go to the temple in Hermosillo, but to do so they have to rent a bus to drive them the 3 hours. The bus rental is $1000. The youth of his branch had decided to try to earn the money by holding a car wash and a bake sale. Pres. Moreno said this might be possible to raise that much money in the States but in Mexico it is an unattainable goal. People do not have extra money to donate even if they get a car wash or a cake out of it.

  5. The kitchens have no hot water. After dinner, we got up and said we would do the dishes. Of course there is not a dishwasher so we were going to wash the dishes by hand. I fiddled with the faucet for a minute and then asked how I could get hot water. Pres. Moreno giggled and said, "welcome to Mexico." At first I thought they were kidding and I looked like the stupid American, but I quickly realized they were not kidding. The water was ICE cold and I was thrilled when Mason started to cry so I didn't have to stick my hands back in the water.

After dinner we brought in all of our donations. We had a TON of stuff. I think we counted over 1000 articles of clothing.


Later as we sat on the couch Guillermo said, "I wish you could just stay and visit. I know you have tired kids, but I would love to just visit." He then invited us back for breakfast the next morning and we accepted.

At the end of the evening I presented President Moreno with a gift. The whole time we were doing Hayden's project, I had the thought... "Our hands are His hands" and the thought kept coming to me that I needed to give something to Guillermo and Ismelda to make them realize that we were just acting on behalf of Heavenly Father in doing and donating all that we had. To be honest, I shrugged off the thought a few times and right before we left, the thought came so strong that I had to run out and get what I needed for the gift. Luckily, I have Kara who did my vinyl at the moment I asked. Here it is:

It is all of our handprints and in Spanish it reads, "Our hands are His hands." As I gave it to Guillermo, he said he was going to cry. Right then and there the Spirit bore witness to me that Guillermo was a man of God, chosen to lead His people at this time and that we are truly His hands on Earth to do the work that He would do if he were here.

As we left that night, my heart was full of love for Ismelda and Guillermo and the people of Mexico. I felt as though we had not done enough. My wonderful Sal said, "Ali, don't think of it that way. We need to realize that we can do MORE." And we will.

Here is our family with Ismelda, Guillermo and Guillermo's Mom!

No comments: