Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hayden's First Camporee

Hayden and Sal went on their first Scout camporee this weekend. Hayden was SO excited to go... honestly he is always excited about anything that has to do with Scouts and/or camping. Unfortunately, neither Sal or I are huge camping fans. I love to camp as long as I am in a trailer with heat/ac, running water, and a toilet. Sal is always a good sport and he goes because he knows Hayden loves it.

When they returned home the first thing I hear about is the scorpion Hayden found under their tent. Luckily it wasn't IN their tent. Sal said they were packing up their tent and saw something moving on the ground. As they got closer they realized it was a Desert Hairy Scorpion. Sal quickly caught it in a plastic cup that he had and they brought him home. Lucky us!! In the 24 years that I have lived in Arizona I have never seen a scorpion let alone one this size. He was huge. Here is a picture of him glowing.
I know this isn't a great picture, but here is the scorpion eating a superworm. It took the scorpion about 4 hours to eat the entire worm. It was quite a sight let me tell you!

Sal took the scorpion to work and is going to cast him into metal and add him to his collection of bugs. I will post a picture of the casted scorpion when Sal gets home tonight. Other bugs in Sal's collection include black widows, beetles, praying mantis, and wolf spiders. The neighbor kids know that if they see a cool bug, to bring it to Sal for his collection. I will try to get pictures of his bugs and post those too.

No comments: