Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 4..... A trip to Kennecott Copper Mine


I remember going to Kennecott as a kid and I thought it was SO cool. This time I honestly wasn't too thrilled about it and neither were the kids. I think part of it is you just can't comprehend how HUGE the mine really is. Yea, yea, yea, they tell you the astronauts can see if from space, but how does an average person truly understand what that means. They also tell you that the Statue of Liberty can fit inside the mine. Well that is great too, but my kids have never seen that in real life so how do they compare it??

We did stand and watched the enormous dump trucks haul the dirt back and forth. We were able to see those dump trucks next to a normal truck and the difference was amazing! They also told us that the electric shovels in the mine can scoop up as much as 98 tons in a single bite. That is mind boggling!

The dump truck up close....


The dump truck driving by a dual cab full sized Chevy truck.


The trucks compared to the size of the mine.....



Here are the kids standing next to one of the tires from the dump trucks. ONE tire costs between $18,000 to $26,000 and lasts just 9 months. I am SO glad I don't have to pay for those tires.




I also found it quite interesting that 2 bi-products from mining the copper are silver and gold. Not bad bi-products if you ask me!

No comments: