Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our Surprising... make that SHOCKING news!!


Baby's Profile with a hand by its face (12 weeks)


Back view of baby (12 weeks)


Looking at babys face (12 weeks)


Baby at 6 weeks.....

Yes we are expecting baby #4. Sal and I were SHOCKED to put it bluntly. Without getting too graphic.... we know what makes a baby and we know what to do to prevent having a baby..... I guess in our case it didn't work?? After fertility treatments to get Cole and Liv, I really didn't think I would ever pee on a stick and be shocked to see a plus sign. Sal and I say, "we had a plan, but we know Heavenly Father has a bigger plan for us" and since HE knows best, we have decided to go with the flow.
We didn't tell anyone about the baby until we had an ultrasound at 7 weeks. Once we saw and heard the heartbeat reality hit. WE ARE HAVING A BABY!!

Telling the kids was a whole other story. We put the ultrasound picture on the fridge and waited for someone to notice. The boys were convinced it was an old picture of them or one of Liv. Hayden eventually noticed the date and then said, "Not in this economy!" He KNEW we were playing a trick on them, but once he saw my name on the picture it began to sink in. Cole gave his usual reaction..... shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever!" Olivia immediately wanted the baby to come out and then she said, "Mom, I want a baby sister..... that's a girl one."

Hayden took it a bit harder. He moped around the house for a while and then it was time to go to a merit badge clinic. While we had quiet time in the car, we talked. I told him it was ok to be surprised and even a little bit sad about the new baby. I told him that Dad and I were not trying to have a baby and then he said, "Mom, weren't you taking the birth control pill?" I was a bit surprised to hear my 11 year old son talking to ME about birth control pills. I told him that I was not taking the pill, but that we were using condoms. (Sorry, but you wanted the FULL story right?!) I asked if he knew what those were and he waited for a minute and then said "yea, I know that they are." I told him that sometimes Heavenly Father knows what is best for us and HE must of thought we needed another baby. At this point he started to cry and he said, "But Mom, what is going to keep us from going under?" I immediately knew what he was talking about. We have been fairly open with the kids about the economy and the effect it has had on our family. While we have been ok, we have had to cut back and tighten our belts. My first words were, "Dad and I would never let anything happen to our family." I went on to explain that we are fine financially and his only worry needs to be doing well in school. Once I was able to explain that we aren't about to lose our house and cars, he seemed to settle right down.

When I picked him up 3 hours later, he said to me, "Mom, we are going to need to buy a bigger car. And what about a room for the baby? Where will it sleep?" Hayden started thinking about all the things Sal and I have spent the past 7 weeks thinking about. We have decided that all will work out however it is supposed to.

I am now 12 weeks and am finally feeling myself again. It is strange to still be wearing my regular clothes. Because of the fertility treatments to get Cole and Liv, I started wearing maternity clothes at 10 weeks. Those hormone pounds are not fun...but totally worth it in the end. We hope it will be an uneventful pregnancy and can't wait to see the baby in March.

1 comment:

The Staheli's said...

That's wonderful news! Congratulations!! :)